Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Antonio and The Girl With No Self-esteem

One of the hardest things to do when touring as a comedian is to keep in touch with friends and family. You squeeze in a visit here and there while you're in town. You might get home after twelve hours of driving, rest for an hour, visit a buddy for lunch, then drive four hours for your gig that night. It's inane.

That's how I let a former friend, we'll call him Antonio (I never use real names when I'm going to write something unflattering about someone), talk me into going to see The Jerky Boys. I had no desire to see it, I had never heard of the Jerky Boys - who apparently taped themselves crank calling people as a form of entertainment - but I did want to see Antonio. So, he picked me up and we went to the film.

Antonio was very charasmatic. He also had a way with women. Think of him as Sam Malone from Cheers with a better build. I had never gone anywhere with Antonio before, we always just met at the place. On the way to the movie, he made an unannounced stop - to get his haircut! The salon we stopped at was actually closed and stopping made us late for the movie, so we had to go to the next show. I decided at that point that I would never go anywhere with Antonio again. Antonio knew one of the salonists, though, and she cut his hair while the salon was closed.

Imagine my surprise when the salonist told Antonio she'd be ready to leave in a minute after she cut his hair. Yeah, she was going with us to the movie. Here I was going to see a film I didn't want to see just to catchup with a friend, and he was blatantly squeezing me and an unwanted date into a trip to get his haircut and see a movie he badly wanted to see. I knew then our friendship was over; Antonio's actions spoke volumes about what he not only thought about the girl, but also what he thought of me. Too bad the girl had no such insight and no self-esteem.

I was puzzled why she didn't drive with us, instead choosing to drive her own car. At one point during the film, Antonio went for some popcorn. I took the opportunity to ask the girl why she drove separately.

"Oh, I met Antonio a few weeks ago at a club. We went out on a date last weekend to another club and he left with another woman. I live way out in the burbs and was stuck in the city with no way to get home. It was horrible. I don't trust him not to hookup with another women, yet, so I drive myself from now on when you go on a date."

Very reasonable. At this point, I don't think I need write another thing. For those women that might just be a little clueless, Antonio had no interest in the salonist. He did have an interest in getting free haircuts. You don't bring a girl you want to date out with another guy until you're a couple, you don't leave your date with no way to get home, and you certainly don't take her to see the Jerky Boys, which, surprisingly, was horrible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay -- my reaction when I read why she drove herself:
why did she agree to go to a movie in the first place if she knew he was such a stiff? Even low/no self-esteem doesn't mean you don't have a brain...or feelings.

Anonymous said...

You would think. I used to let guys do stupid things like that to me, too. It's like Ian says in the book, trixies, which I was, often let themselves be treated really bad because we're used to be treating really well by guys, so when one doesn't we go crazy trying to prove we deserve better treatment. It was like an obsession w/me because it's how I identified myself. I was the girl every guy wanted. Hopefully this girl got wiser as she got older. It's pretty said the way she let this guy treat her.