Friday, July 6, 2007

More Reviews & "The Police"

Here are two more reviews of the book that popped up yesterday on blogs. The first is more of the start of a discussion about whether dating advice books are any good; the second is an artistic review of the book. It is always interesting to see how different reviews can be and what people get from a work. I'm noticing the pattern more and more of people latching on to one or two parts of the book and exploring them, more so than the entire book. Personally, I've always found that to be the mark of a good work or at least one with depth; that different people got different things from it. Thus, I hope this pattern continues!

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/singleout/archives/117572.asp

http://www.cclapcenter.com/2007/07/book_review_god_is_a_woman_by.html

I'm also reposting the link to Legal Pub's review because there have been several more worthwhile comments since he posted it:

http://legalpublication.blogspot.com/2007/05/legal-pub-salutes-one-of-our-own.html

Still updating the book's site and it should come out really good in the end, with more book excerpts and lots of other features. I'll keep you posted...

All right, enough about the book. I went to The Police reunion concert last night at Wrigley Field in Chi-Town. If you want to feel young, go to this concert when it comes to your city. I was by far the youngest person there. People kept asking me where my parents were, if I was lost, would I like a balloon? At one point there was an announcement, "There is a lost little boy in section 239, row 18, seat 104. Could his mommy please go over there and claim him?" It was great! The concert? Well, that was okay. Rock stars tend not to take to much care of their voices and The Police are no exception. Sting (who I actually opened for back in my early twenties) had to use some alternate notes and creative harmony in places. All in all, it was a fun concert and, again, I was literally a kid among the crowd!

1 comment:

Legal Pub said...

Certainly dates me.I actually attended one of their concerts, but I did so sober. The reason is that when I was in college (back in the days before electricity,) there bantered about a great April fools legend/joke that served as a deterrence. The fable was about city police in a town where the University was located. These cops decided to take out adds that the Police would be performing at the University Assembly hall on April 1st. Tickets were to be sold and the event would look like a regular concert featuring the "Police." After the warm up band, the exits would be locked and the lights were to be turned on. The announcers would then introduce the local city "Police" who would administer drug and alcohol testing to the patrons.

While the legend is undoubtedly untrue, it may still serve as a deterrence to my peers who might choose to attend a reunion concert of the police.