Monday, November 27, 2006

Do I Look Fat in This?

I've gotten a few emails from people saying I should put stuff up here about dating, given the book, maybe even clips from the book itself. I'm not going to do that because there is an excerpted chapter, as well as clips from the book, on the book's website, and because the stories are in the book. It's like when I did radio to plug comedy shows for the clubs. If you do your act on radio, people have already heard it when they show up to the club. I feel bad that people pay to hear something they've already heard, so I did other, still funny things, on the radio.

Instead, I will post articles I'm writing for dating websites or magazines that tie into the book. These articles are similar to the "Quickies" in the book--one to two pages of dating advice for men or women in between chapters. This first one is for the guys, although women will find it interesting. I'll post one for the women later in the week. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and I hope this works for ya.

“Do I look fat in this?”
“Which should I wear, the red blouse or the white one?”
“Do you think she’s prettier than me?”

Aaargh! It’s enough to make a guy pull his hair out. We’ve all been asked them, we’ve all fallen victim to them, and we all have to deal with them. What are they? The absolutely ridiculous questions girlfriends or wives ask.

We’re not going to answer whether a woman looks fat in something, we don’t know what a blouse is, and no one is prettier than our beloved. So why do they ask these questions? It’s not the answer they’re after; they’re after the WAY we answer. Why did you hesitate when she asked if she looked fat? Why did you have to look at the woman before answering she wasn’t prettier? It’s a ridiculous, annoying game, which we can never seem to win . . . or can we?

I have never had to deal with the stupid questions women ask while dating more than once for each woman I’ve dated. What? How is that possible? What’s my tactic? I simply threaten to withhold sex for a month any time they ask a stupid question . . . woo, THAT was funny! I beat the question with complete absurdity. I give her nowhere to go, no reason to get angry. The only thing she can do is stop playing the game. How do I use absurdity? Here are my answers to the above questions:

“Do I look fat in this?”
“I’m sorry, did you say something? I wasn’t paying attention. I was too focused on holding onto this chair to avoid being sucked into your gravitational pull.”

“Which should I wear, the red blouse or the white one?”
“Wear the white one, I was planning to wear the red.”

“Do you think she’s prettier than me?”
“I would sell you into white slavery if she would just talk to me.”

See? There’s nowhere for her to go. I’ve left her no room. My comments are so outlandish all she can do is laugh. And, more importantly, never play the question game with me again.

So the next time you get asked some dumbass question by your girlfriend or wife, intended to find fault with you no matter how you answer or what you say, crush it with an outlandish response. Of course, I should tell you that I think my current girlfriend is slowly poisoning me with a pinch of antifreeze in all of my drinks because of my outlandish answer, but hey, I’m sure all you guys would agree that is far preferable to playing the question game.

All tongue in cheek aside, if your significant other asks these questions, there is a good chance she feels you are taking her for granted. She may ask which blouse you think she should wear because she is hoping you'll notice she bought a new blouse to look good for you, and so forth. Pay closer attention and offer more sincere compliments, about things she thinks you don't notice.

Ladies, two key things to remember about men: First, we spend a great deal of our time trying to figure out how to get you out of your clothes, which leaves us very little focus for noticing the clothes themselves, which is why we suck on clothes questions. The tighter, skimpier, sexier the clothes, the more we want to take them off, often making them even less memorable. So while an expensive tight shirt is very memorable to you, it may not be to us, because all we can think when we see you in it is "Wow!" and nothing else--a compliment to the shirt and you, just not the one for which you were looking. Second, we are with you because we think you are the prettiest woman with the best taste. When we take you for granted, you're better off giving us a swift kick in the ass with a direct approach, as opposed to expecting us to figure out the real meaning behind your questions. Notice how men tend to communicate with each other? Very directly with jocular name calling. So next time you're about to ask a question, try something like, "Hey, Mr. I-didn't-notice-my-girlfriend-got-a-new blouse for this party, do you think I should wear it or this old one? Or do you even care?" You're far more likely to hear, "Is that a new blouse? I'm sorry I didn't notice, it looks great." And, more importantly, he'll get your drift.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honesty is a great policy. Instead of joking and avoiding the subject, I once had a lover who openly discussed why men look at other women. I was furious because there was another woman and he commented that she was really pretty. He explained to me that guys are always looking at other women. And he took the time to explain why. Even the guy who has the prettiest model as his girlfriend is looking at other women. Then he explained that he was with me, not anyone else. The whole conversation helped and it also eased my mind about past scenarios. It's a sign of respect to discuss these issues, instead of avoiding them and hoping they'll go away on their own. In my situation, I felt I was being listened to and my concern was being taken seriously. And I've never had the desire to ask about other women since (even with other men I dated after this lover).

Now as to the question about which shirt to wear . . .

Did you men ever stop to think that maybe we're asking that question because we want to know which shirt will get you hot and bothered so that we'll have really great sex that night?

Anonymous said...

Okay, so why do men look at other women? What reason did your boyfriend give you at the time?

Anonymous said...

Kristy,

I can't recreate the moment in a way that you would understand. All I can say is that it was honest, and I appreciated it.

The point of the posting was to let men know that there are women that appreciate honesty when dealing with problems.

Stephen Coates said...

BTW, I can confidently state that like the Dread Pirate Roberts (Westley) and iocane powder of "The Princess Bride" fame, you too can take little bits of anti-freeze over time and build up your immunity. That is the only way to explain how I am still alive after nearly ten years of marriage. Just ask Brandeis.

Secondarily, look at what happened to this "honest" lover. He is referred to in the past tense. Which typically means he is gone, no more, sayonara, adios muchacho, 86'd, kicked to the curb, etc. SO much for honesty.

BTW, that he used the second oldest line in the book, "I am with you and not anyone else" and you bought it, just goes to prove that women don't want to hear the truth. ("I won't *&M in your mouth" is the oldest line.)

The shirt question:

We don't care what color the shirt is, one color over another doesn't make a difference in how hot and bothered a guy will get. We are guys! We wake up hot and bothered, we sit in meetings all day hot and bothered. We sit in the drive-thru at Taco Bell and are hot and bothered. We only care that that shirt ends up in a rumpled ball on the floor of the bedroom.

Moral of the story:

Men practice your peripheral vision techniques. it comes in handy. Walking and talking with my wife, pushing a stroller in the mall, we come upon one of those young, pretty cosmetics girls in the white revealing smock with the name tag attached. We pass. My wife says, "you know you didn't even turn and look at that gorgeous woman go by, that was really great." I said, "Oh you mean Amber." Peripheral vision is the key, you can get away with murder, if you are not a smart ass.

Did You Stop to Think? said...

10 Yrs Stephen? You can kill someone and get out in 5... Glad your survived the anti-freeze long enough to share some good wisdom. Please give Amber my number.