Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Mating Dance is Flirting but That's not the Real Issue...

(This post will find its way into my "Lunch is Not a Date" column within the next few weeks.)

As many of you know, I recently did an interview in my column with Halima Sal-Anderson and then another with Classical One; both interviews are on interracial dating (IR). (Visit http://www.lunchisnotadate.com/ for the actual interviews.) Since doing the interviews, I have received several questions from black women asking how to do "The Mating Dance."

I have heard the term "The Mating Dance" (TMD) previously in several different circles and each kind of has its own applications. For example, pickup artists (pua's), more specifically Mystery--who is credited with founding the pua technique and community (meaning the on-line one, not the one that's existed for years prior just as a term for guys who were good at picking up women seemingly effortlessly)--states that too many guys ignore the mating dance. They express interest too soon, as opposed to maneuvering around, heightening a women's interest before indicating their own. Psychologists actually agree to an extent, stating that there is a courtship ritual to meeting someone that exists in all species, including humans, and that it tends to be more important to eliciting interest in the female of the species than in the male.

In the term IR's are using it, they are referring to people sending signals of interest to each other, specifically women sending signals of interest to men. The women who have emailed me their questions state that black women are known for not being as good at the mating dance as women of other races, specifically when it comes to "dancing" with white men.

What everyone is really talking about is flirting. Readers of God and my column know that I am very big on flirting, especially citing it as important for the "nice guy," and I provide flirting techniques throughout the book along with examples, illustrating them in the very stories in which I learned them and learned why they are important. I do give some examples of how women can flirt but not as many.

Every woman who emailed me about TMD stated "I feel I've missed out on being asked out by white men because I am not good at TMD." Basically, they are in that annoying state of wondering "what if...;" the state I lived in for years prior to age twenty-three. It is a state many, in fact most, guys live in their whole lives--"What if I asked her out?" "What if I went up to that redhead?" "What if that black woman I saw did date white guys and I just I assumed she didn't?"

The women go on to describe meeting guys on the subway (I'm assuming that's what the "London Underground" is), the bus, in a long line at the grocery store, while leaving a club, and so forth. They are disappointed because they think the guys in these scenarios did not ask them out because they poorly executed TMD. They want to know how to be better at TMD.

Did these guys fail to ask them out because the women sucked at TMD? It seems that many black women believe so; white women, on the other hand, would say, "No, those guys are just clueless." I'm not shitting you on this; black women tend to feel the fault is theirs for not sending out readable, strong signals, while white women always just say, "Guys are so clueless." I get tons of emails from white women asking, "Why are men so clueless?" I have yet to receive one from black women asking the same question. (I know who is who because women always physically describe themselves the first time they email me; I'm not sure why they feel the need, but it is interesting. It does help in some cases, depending on their question, but in most, it is a moot point.)

At this point, it is important to define flirting. There are many definitions, most of which are ridiculous. Dating experts and pua's often describe flirting as any conversation that takes place between a man and a woman. Most commonly those charging for seminars use this definition because if you say, "Hi" to someone they can say, "See? You flirted. Now, pay me $300 for the next lesson." Fucking ridiculous. What about gay people? They can't flirt? Also, most flirting has nothing to do with conversation; rather, it's body language. If I ask a woman what time it is, I am hardly flirting.

Flirting is communication between two or more people which resonates with sexual overtones via a combination of spoken language, physical touch, and body language. Asking someone how his day was is not flirting; asking someone how his day was while simultaneously smiling and running the palm of your hand down his shoulder and arm, is flirting. (Oh yeah, I am required by the publisher to mention that a lot of this stuff is in God; there's copyright laws with which to contend. That's another reason I went with a small publisher; a big publisher would only let me answer the TMD questions by writing "Read my book for all the information on flirting you need and could ever want to know; sorry, the publisher owns all the content and won't let me use my own stuff elsewhere.")

Okay, flirting is defined; great. How do you do it? As with anything else, start simple. One woman stated that she was told to "jiggle her shoulders, wiggle her butt, keep constant eye contact, keep smiling" all while continuing to talk. I laughed my ass off picturing her jiggling her shoulders while wiggling her ass. If a woman did that when I met her I'd be likely to yell, "Help! This woman is having a seizure! Do you have some kind of medic alert bracelet we should read, miss?"

That's a lot of activity to think about and put into play. Keep it simple. Don't try to do everything at once. If you meet a guy you like, when he kids you about something, push him away by gently punching him in the shoulder while commenting, "That's not true" and smiling. Insult him without meaning it--"You're a jerk;" only he knows you don't mean it because you're smiling or laughing while you say it. Twirl your hair occasionally while he's talking. Touch your cheek a few times. Make eye contact while smiling at different times throughout the conversation. Be open with your arms and keep your body toward his. (In short, don't stand there with your arms crossed, not smiling.) Fortunately, our bodies naturally help us with a lot of this stuff. For example, when you are speaking with someone and find the conversation engaging, you will have a tendency to mimic him as he speaks--when he leans forward on his arm as he talks, you are likely to do the same shortly thereafter; when he leans back, you will too, again shortly after he does. It's very natural. When someone isn't doing those things, it is often a sign that the conversation is not engaging to the other person.

So, if you don't over think it, a lot of this stuff will take care of itself. When I say keep it simple, I mean don't go in trying to think about all this stuff. Instead, focus on one or two things. Tonight I'm going to twirl my hair and smile a few times when I talk to a guy I like. Period. Don't do anything else. Another night try something different. When it fits into the conversation, I'm going to ask a guy I like if he's a good boy or a bad boy. Why? What has he done good; what has he done bad. Or, I'll say, "Ooh, tell me about the bad stuff." On another night, combine the two. By using this process, you'll become a natural flirt, able to turn it on and off at will without thinking about it. You'll touch when you naturally feel a good spot in which to do so, make a risque joke when the timing is right, and so forth. Trust me; I know. I used to suck it flirting and now I'm a king at it. I got here by doing just what I'm telling you, along with watching how other people flirted and listening to what they said.

So, what have we achieved? Well, black women, once you are good at TMD and the guy doesn't ask you out, you can then say, "Guys are clueless." Oh, what a fucking joy! I bet you're looking forward to that! Basically, we've accomplished very little in the end. Why? Because you have not established any control over the situation or yourself.

I wanted to address TMD in a blog before my column this week, which is a Q&A with Leslie Talbot, because there is a much bigger issue here that is the real heart of the matter. Ironically, Leslie and I will be addressing it in the column Friday, so a "pre-discussion" here, given all the questions about TMD, is warranted. (Plus, I've learned that for each person who asks a question, there are usually five with the same question who don't ask; meaning there are a lot of women out there who want to know how to be better at TMD, judging from the number of questions I've received.) Read the column Friday for further discussion and for Leslie's input. I will post this entry as a future column in the next few weeks but given all the questions about TMD I am receiving, there seemed no time to waste.

What did I mean by "you haven't established any control over the situation or yourself?" Exactly that. You're foolishly leaving all the power up to clueless men. (No matter how good you are at flirting, you'd be amazed how many guys have no idea that you are interested. Why? Because most guys get nervous and they are not paying attention to what you are saying and doing. You're touching them and smiling and they're thinking, "Okay, what should I say next?" Ever been talking to a guy and you think he is rude because whatever you say he completely ignores, replying with a completely different subject? Like you ask, "Where have you traveled?" and he replies, "What kind of food do you like?" Huh?! He's not rude; he's nervous. He's busy thinking about what he's going to say next the entire time you are talking, so he's not listening and responding, which is a huge part of being successful when it comes to meeting women.)

All women of every race are pre-conditioned by society and the media--I don't care what anyone else says, or what woman lib claims--to wait for the guy to make the all-important first move. I mean, all the questions I'm getting about TMD boil down to simply this: "Okay, if I giggle and jiggle just right, the guy will ask me out, right? So how do I do that?" EER! Wrong!

The concept of God is multi--it's a dating advice book, a book of funny stories, a book about being a standup comedian; it all depends on the reader and what the reader is looking for when they read it. At its most basic level, it is the very honest, open story I've my personal growth, particularly in the dating world. The humorous concept of God is that we all often blame someone else for our dating woes, even God. (In fact, especially often God.) I used to get mad at women for my failures with them. I finally woke up and realized this universal truth: the only person responsible for my happiness is me. That's true for all of us--the only person responsible for your happiness is you. Your happiness is your job and no one else's.

So why the hell wait for the guy to ask you out? Why wander around for the next three weeks thinking Gee, I wonder why he didn't ask me out. Was I not clear about my interest? I hate wondering, so I don't do it. If I'm interested, I make my move and so should you. Look, if I meet you on the bus and we're talking and you're interested, guess what? Only you know where you get off on the bus, not me! Only you know you are getting off in two stops. Are you going to sit there, hoping I ask you out before then? Are you going to ride the bus till my stop, six miles out of your way, hoping I'll ask you out? Then be pissed when I don't, because I'm thinking Well, she's black and she probably doesn't date white guys, so I won't even try for her digits (phone number).

The point is, you don't know what I'm thinking. And I don't know what you're thinking. No matter how much flirting is going on, that's the fact, Jack. It will always be the fact. It will never, ever change. It is one of the few certainties in life. Don't wait for me to make a move; make your own move. "You know, I'm getting off in a few stops, but I'd like to continue this conversation. Here's my email." "If you want my number, you better ask soon; I get off in two stops."

Now brace yourself . . . I may decline. I might be engaged. Married. Gay. Seriously involved. Stupid. Who knows? Most likely, I'll be refreshingly surprised and take your information and call you because I've received a very strong indicator that I will be successful in getting a date. (The number one reason guys don't call after they get your number, ladies? Fear of rejection. They talk themselves out of it because they didn't get a strong enough signal, in their minds, to take the next step.)

What's the worst that could happen? I reject you. Hey, welcome to our world! It happens. I get rejected all the time. Guess what? I'm still breathing, still kicking, the world is still spinning. You get a few rejections under your belt and it's like water rolling off a duck's back. Most importantly, you won't spend a minute wondering What if? Trust me, it is much better to know than to wonder. Yeah, yeah, I know a few guys get put-off by a woman asking them out. Fuck them. Do you want to date someone that ignorant, any way? He's done you a favor by saving you the vast time and energy you may have spent only to come to realize he's a stone age moron.

Don't make excuses; take control of your own happiness. Yes, learn how to flirt and be good at it; it is important. But don't ever rely on someone else for your happiness. This is especially important in IR dating, where there are so many barriers with which to already contend; eliminate the biggest one immediately.

Hope this helps. Remember to check out the Nov. 30 Lunch is Not a Date column; Leslie will be talking about other ill-conceived conceptions still plaguing women these days.

10 comments:

Daphne said...

OK, brace yourself - as a black woman, I'm asking:

Why are guys so clueless?

Kidding!

Flirting is quite fun, and I've been told that, at times, I do it without even knowing it. I can't help it! I like to touch men! Particularly if I find them attractive! That said, I do admit to being clueless myself when guys flirt with me. I think it's just him being friendly, and my girlfriends say, "No, girl, he was flirting with you." Usually, it seems to happen when I'm not expecting it, like if I'm at a bookstore, at a gas station, etc. I guess I'll need to grab your book to get the inside scoop on flirting from the male perspective, eh?

By the way, nice blog and website. Always nice to read a perspective from a man who actually likes women. I'm looking forward to your Q&A with Leslie.

foosrock! said...

I love this post. I think it will help bolster the confidence of so many black women or women period I read about (on C-1s blog, eg) who are truly clueless. I suspect though this has a lot to do with the segregated societies they've grown up in.

My "good" deed this Xmas season is to order at least 10 of your books (God is a woman....), place my business card within each, wrap them up nicely, carry one each day on my way to work and whenever I meet a guy who really attracts my interest, will spontaneously gift him with said book. :-))

Nice blog. Yay for your comment section!. Will be back often, so please don't make it one gender sided.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your site and this posting in particular.

I'm a 42 yo black woman who has always been interested in dating IR but have been clueless about how to do it. I've spent 20 years thinking white guys didn't want to date me, or where just chicken.

There were so many times I thought a guy was flirting with me and I flirted back (or at least I thought that's what I was doing!). But typically nothing came of it and I would just get enormously frustrated. I always thought that if I worked with these guys or went to school with them,and they had the opportunity to get to know me in a low pressure way, they would just ask me out, especially if I could tell there was some interest there. But that didn't happen,despite the flirting I thought was going on. I saw guys all around me going out with white women while I just sat on the side lines and it was infuriating. I just came to assume that white men didn't find me attractive or were intimidated by me (which is probably partly true).

I see now from your posting that unfortunately the fear that guys have of rejection is pretty huge,especially when it comes to crossing the cultural barrier. And that in most of these situations if I ever wanted anything to happen then I needed to make the first move. But the fear of rejection on my side is also massive.

And here's where the cultural differences come into play. I didn't dare make the first move because "we don't do that." My recent ex-boyfriend, who is white and whom I met online, pin-pointed the dilemma. White women are much more aggressive about pursuing men that black women are. As black women we've had the luxury of being passive in our flirting because black men tend to flirt aggressively and make the first move if they're interested. All we really need to do is encourage them...or not. There are of course black women who do chase men, but most black women who consider themselves to be "ladies" do not. (In fact I have very strong memories of my grandmother telling me that I never needed to chase a man because it was beneath me.)That's just part of our culture.

White women, however,are conditioned to be much more aggressive and I see it all the time. (And many of us black women turn up our noses when we see it!) But my boyfriend explained to me that based on his observations, white men are not as aggressive in pursuing women as black men are,and therefore white women have developed strong adaptive skills to attract men. Which is why white women may be better at flirting than black women,since we are more likely to be reactive than proactive flirters. This of course makes it much more challenging for black women who are interested in white men.(And the thought of rejection, especially across racial lines, is horrifying.)

At first I thought he was nuts but then what he was saying began to make sense and I slowly came to understand where I'd been miscalculating all these years. Rather than sitting back and waiting for white guys to approach me if they're interested (which is what I strongly believed)I see now that I should have tabled all that cultural conditioning and just taken the bull by the horns a long,long time ago,scary and unimaginable as it may seem. But nobody ever toldme, so how was i to know? What a drag to discover this now!

But better late than never! So thanks again for validating this recent realization. Guess I better screw up my courage and go get your book so I can learn how to be a proactive flirter!

Did You Stop to Think? said...

Ladies, thank you so much for the feedback. You had some very astute observations to add and I appreciate it. Now... get your flirt on!

Anonymous said...

Interesting article!

I'm a black woman who has lived in both black and white communities and I tell you now, black women in black areas don't flirt as much because they don't need to.

If anything, they are often trying to divert attention from themselves.

I go to a shop in a black area and can be pursued by 3 or 4 men, without having to bat an eyelash.

In a white area I might have one white guy stare at me for YEARS without asking me out.

Now you may ask, why don't I ask that guy out? Well, I'll tell you why. I am a WOMAN and prefer MEN that pursue. Period. It may be old-fashioned, but a man that doesn't ask me out is a turn-off. Especially if you grow up in a culture where men are quite capable of showing interest and pursuing with little flirting on your behalf.

Why chase one man who isn't interested enough to ask for my number as soon as I stand up to get off the bus, when there are 3-4 men who are competing for my attention. I'm sorry, but it does not make any sense.

Most black women know this, and those are the ones who go to areas in which the men are the most receptive.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment about Black women not needing to flirt. We like a more agressive style with a little boasting to boot. If you've ever watched a male peacock trying to attract a female, that comes closest to the Black mating dance, except that the female isn't quite as passive if she's interested. Though, it's not cool to show too much interest. There's a value placed on being cool. That in mind, it would make sense that a more laid back approach would go over our heads as being almost non existent.

Anonymous said...

But Black women do know how to flirt, especially Southern Black women.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]001[/url] check the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]casino online[/url] manumitted no consign bonus at the best [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]no put tip
[/url].